• 26Mar
    Categories: knitting Comments: 8

It is finished!My green shawl is finally finished, just in time for spring. Whew! That took much longer than it was supposed to, but I guess it is my own fault for being such a perfectionist. I blocked it on Saturday and wore it to church yesterday. The color of yarn is truer in the picture of the full shawl than in the detail pic.

Here are the specs:lace detail

Pattern: Large Rectangle shawl from Victorian Lace Today. I rewrote the edging pattern for a deeper edging, as the shawl was rather small and the silk would not stretch much when blocked.

Yarn: Jade Sapphire Cashmere-Silk (55% silk, 45% cashmere; 400 yds.) in the Oceana colorway, 2 skeins.

Needles: The pattern called for a size 7, but I used a 6 instead.

Finished size: 62″ x 22″

8 Comments to FO: Spring Shawl

• Tammy says:

Oh! I love it! It’s very beautiful!!!

• heather says:

Thank you very much for the compliment. It was a bit of a challenge to knit, although the pattern is very simple. Lol. I have enjoyed wearing a couple of times already, especially places where the air conditioning is on full blast already. (Air conditioning in March…who would have thought?)

• Marianne Y says:

Your spring shawl is gorgeous! You did a beautiful job, and I love the pattern!

I’m afraid that the color difference that you ran into must go with the territory with hand-dyed yarns. Someone suggested that when knitting socks, if you are using two skeins, that you knit both cuffs from one skein & the rest of the socks from the other skein. That should work fine for socks.

I’m not sure what the answer could be for a shawl, other than what you did. I’m afraid that I may run into the same issue with some hand-dyed sock yarn that I plan to use in a shawl. I am usually pretty sensitive to color differences, so that could get really interesting when I get started on it.

• sonja poor says:

Oh, your shawl is just lovely. I love the color and the extra-deep edging. Great job! I’m not on the KAL but love the book (and just finished Alpine).
    Thanks for all the pictures and the details. I’ve been looking at this pattern as maybe a ‘next’ one.

• Beth says:

Beautiful shawl. I’m glad I saw your blog, I found it from the Victorian Lace Knitalong. I think I will take your advice and use 6’s too, 7 does sound sort of big. I have never tried lace before, and this one looks fairly easy.

Beth

• Mala says:

You have done a super job with the shawl.

• Heather says:

Thanks for the compliments, ladies.

A couple more notes:
    As for the size 6 needles…I just liked the way the pattern looked with them better than the size 7. I used Chiao Goo bamboo needles, and when I measured them in my needle sizer (after I was more than halfway through the shawl) my size 6 needles measured as a 5, and the size 7 measured as a 6. The reason I made the edging larger was because the shawl came out smaller than I had planned. So, if you like a more generously sized shawl, you may want to follow the pattern’s suggestions or use a fiber that has a bit of stretchiness to it (mine had too much silk in it to have any stretch).

Happy Knitting!

• Laura says:

It’s beautiful. I love your edging!