This weekend I was so excited about finishing my shawl. I laid it out to do pre-blocking measurements and discovered that when stretched it measured only 60″ instead of the 78″ that the pattern called for. I picked it up and tried draping it around myself, only to find that it was indeed too small. There were a number of factors which influenced the smallness of my shawl: I decided to knit it on size 6 needles, instead of size 7 as the pattern dictated, because the pattern looked nicer knitted at that gauge. That would normally not make a lot of difference in the size, but when I measured the needle in my gauge checker, it only measured as a 5, even though it was labeled as a 6. Sigh. The other contributing factor, and this one is the one I blame most, is that the yarn is 55% silk, which does not stretch.
So, I frogged the edging on three of the four sides of the rectangle and decided to knit more repeats of the center pattern. After I finish with that, I can once again knit the edging. I really wanted to be finished with this. I even started another shawl, because I thought all I needed was to block this one. Now that one sits on the back burner while I once again knit the green shawl. I really dislike having to rip out so much work, but I am a perfectionist and would not be happy with spending time and money on a shawl that would be unsatisfactory. It really is of no use to me if it is not wearable. I will post pics when it is finally finished.