• 05Dec
    Categories: knitting Comments: 8

My swallowtail shawl is finished, blocked, and photographed for your viewing pleasure!

swallowtail detail

Pattern:  Swallowtail Shawl, Interweave Knits, Fall 2006

Needles:  Crystal Palace bamboo, size 3

Yarn:  Alpaca with a Twist’s Fino in First Frost, 875 yards, 1 skein (I have leftovers)

Finished size:  67″ x 30″ blocked.

draped swallowtail

I added additional repeats to this pattern to make it larger because I used a smaller needle size to accomodate the laceweight yarn, and I still wanted a full sized shawl, rather than a shawlette.  Instead of the recommended 14 repeats of the Budding Lace 2 chart, I did 24.  (You can increase this chart by increments of five repeats, but for every additional five repeats, you will need to add four extra stitches between the Lily of the Valley Border and the Peaked Edging to reconcile the math.)  After 24 repeats of the Budding Lace 2 chart, I worked the Lily of the Valley Border 1 chart, then the Lily of the Valley Border 2 chart.  Then I added two additional rows to the LV Border 2 chart, so that there are six nups worked in that chart, rather than five.  This gave me four of the additional stitches that I needed, and I worked an additional increase into the first row of the Peaked edging by increasing after the first yo, before the yo prior to the center stich, after the yo following the center stich, and before the final yo.  It sounds complicated, I know, but it really was not.  If you are unsure about making changes to a pattern, insert lifelines that you can rip back to if it does not work out or look right.  The changes I made are not obvious and do not detract from the pattern.

swallowtail overview

The finished shawl did come out to be larger than I had anticipated.  I am a petite 4’10” so I probably could have done fewer repeats and ended up with an adequately sized shawl.  The larger size is not really a problem, though, because the lace is so light and has a wonderful drape.

8 Comments to Finished Object: Swallowtail Shawl

• Melissa says:

Your shawl is very beautiful! Thanks for posting the great photos of it. See you tonight at Knit One, Weave Too.

• Heather says:

Melissa – Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to seeing you and how your knitting is coming along tonight at knit night!

• Tammy says:

Oh my! Just gorgeous! I’ve been meaning to come over when I can post a comment! I buzz through blogs during my lunch. LOL But I forget to come back and post comments. Anyhow, lovely, lovely!

• heather says:

Thanks, Tammy. It really was not very difficult to knit, and the nupps are not as bad as everyone says as long as the RS increases are done loosely, then the WS will be easy. I look forward to seeing some lace on your site someday!

• Marny says:

I’ve salivated onto my keyboard … what a gorgeous shawl … and you did a beautiful job making it. Shall I send you my snail mail addy now??

Gentle as you go,
    Marny

• Kaia says:

Hi! I googled “larger Swallowtail shawl” and ended up here. I’m making one for my friend who is getting married next month, and since she is 5’8 I wanted to make it bigger. Wasn’t sure how, but your instructions helped a lot! I’m shooting for 60 inches so I’m thinking I can get away with 10 extra repeats or so…

• Deborah says:

Thank you for posting your beautiful shawl and the changes you made to it. I am knitting this just now and getting ready for the Lily of the Valley border but I too wanted to make the shawl larger but wasn’t looking forward to doing the math! Thanks for the instructions I’ll try it tonight!

• Heather says:

Thanks, Deborah! Good luck with your shawl.